HEP group news
Publications from our HEP-A group:
Electron Ion Collider (EIC)
- M. Hohlmann, M. Bomberger, S. Colafranceschi, F. Jimenez, M. Rahmani, A. Zhang, "A Low-mass GEM Detector with Radial Zigzag Readout Strips for Forward Tracking at the EIC," Proc. of IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium 2017, Atlanta, GA; arXiv:1711.05333 [physics.ins-det], Nov 14, 2017.
- A. Zhang, M. Hohlmann, B. Azmoun, M. Purschke, and C. Woody, "A GEM readout with radial zigzag strips and linear charge-sharing response,"
arXiv:1708.07931v1 [physics.ins-det] Aug 26, 2017, submitted to Nucl. Inst. Meth. A.
- A. Zhang and M. Hohlmann, "Accuracy of the geometric-mean method for determining spatial resolutions of tracking detectors in the presence of multiple Coulomb scattering," JINST 11 P06012 (2016), June 21, 2016; preprint version arXiv:1604.06130, Apr 20, 2016.
- A. Zhang,
V. Bhopatkar, E. Hansen, M. Hohlmann, S. Khanal, M. Phipps, E. Starling, J. Twigger, K. Walton, "Performance of a large-area GEM Detector read out with wide radial zigzag strips," Nucl. Inst. Meth. A 811 (2016) 30-41, online version at ScienceDirect (18 Dec 2015); preprint version arXiv:1508.07046, Aug 2015.
- A. Zhang, V. Bhopatkar, M. Hohlmann, et al., "R&D on GEM Detectors for Forward Tracking at a Future Electron-Ion Collider", Proc. of IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium 2015, San Diego, CA; arXiv:1511.07913 [physics.ins-det], Nov 24, 2015.
2013 APS-DPF Snowmass HEP Community Summer Study
(What is "Snowmass" all about? - Final report on the entire Snowmass study)
- M. Demarteau, et al., "Planning the Future of U.S. Particle Physics (Snowmass 2013) - Chapter 8: Instrumentation Frontier," Conveners' report for APS-DPF Snowmass Community Summer Study, FERMILAB-CONF-13-648; SLAC-PUB-15960; arXiv:1401.6116, Jan 2014.
- M. Hohlmann, "Printing out Particle Detectors with 3D-Printers - a Potentially Transformational Advance for HEP Instrumentation," Proc. of 2013 APS-DPF Snowmass Community Summer Study, SNOW13-00137, arXiv:1309.0842, Sep 3, 2013.
- U. Heintz, D. Bortoletto, M. Hohlmann, T. LeCompte, R. Lipton, M. Narain, and A. White, "Instrumentation for the Energy Frontier," Summary paper by the energy frontier working group within the instrumentation frontier, Proc. of 2013 APS-DPF Snowmass Community Summer Study, SNOW13-00141, arXiv:1309.0162 [physics.ins-det], Aug 31, 2013.
- J. Yu, M. Hohlmann, V. Polychronakos, and A. White, "Micro-Pattern Gas Detectors for Calorimetry," one-pager white paper, in Compendium of Instr. Frontier Whitepapers on Technologies for Snowmass 2013, FERMILAB-FN-0971-PPD, Sep 2013.
- M. Hohlmann, V. Polychronakos, A. White, and J. Yu, "Micro-Pattern Gas Detectors for Charged-Particle Tracking and Muon Detection," Proc. of 2013 APS-DPF Snowmass Community Summer Study, SNOW13-00025, arXiv:1306.1924 [physics.ins-det], June 8, 2013.
- S. Colafranceshi, I. Vai, "Operational experience with the GEM detector assembly lines for the CMS forward muon upgrade" , Proc. of IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium 2017, CMS CR-2017/423, Atlanta, GA; Nov 16, 2017
- Stefano Colafranceschi (for the CMS coll.), "A new Slow Control and Run Initialization Byte-wise Environment (SCRIBE) for the Quality Control of Mass-Produced CMS GEM detectors",
Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2016, Strasbourg, France, arXiv:1612.0446 Oct 29-Nov 5, 2016
- V. Bhopatkar, M. Hohlmann, A. Mohapatra, M. Phipps, J. Twigger, A. Zhang, et. al., "Performance of a Large-Area GEM Detector Prototype for the Upgrade of the CMS Muon Endcap System", Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2014, Seattle, WA, Nov 9-15, 2014, arXiv:1412.0228
- S. Colafranceschi, M. Hohlmann, et. al., "Beam Test Results for New Full-scale GEM Prototypes for a Future Upgrade of the CMS High-eta Muon System", Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2012, N14-137, Anaheim, CA, Oct 29-Nov 3, 2012, arXiv:1211.3939.
- M. Tytgat, et. al., "Construction and Performance of Large-Area Triple-GEM Prototypes for Future Upgrades of the CMS Forward Muon System," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2011, Valencia, Spain, Oct 23-29, 2011, arXiv:1111.7249, and RD51-Note-2011-012.
- S. Colafranceschi, et. al., "Test Beam Results of the GE1/1 Prototype for a Future Upgrade of the CMS High-eta Muon System," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2011, Valencia, Spain, Oct 23-29, 2011, arXiv:1111.4883.
- D. Abbaneo, et. al., "Construction of the First Full-Size GEM-Based
Prototype for the CMS High-Eta Muon System," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2010, Knoxville, Tennessee, October 30 - November 6,2010, arXiv:1012.1524, and RD51-Note-2010-008.
- D. Abbaneo, et. al., "Characterization of GEM Detectors for Application
in the CMS Muon Detection System" Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2010, Knoxville, Tennessee, October 30 - November 6, 2010, arXiv:1012.3675, and RD51-Note-2010-005.
- CMS Collaboration, "Aligning the CMS Muon Chambers with the Muon Alignment System during an Extended Cosmic Ray Run," J. of Instr. 5:T03019 (2010), 18pp., arXiv:0911.4770, and CMS-CFT-09-017
(25 November 2009).
- Contribution on Muon Alignment to the CMS Detector Paper: The CMS Collaboration, "The CMS experiment at the CERN LHC," J. of Instr.
3:S08004 (2008), 361pp. .
- M. Hohlmann, et al., "Aligning the CMS Muon Endcap Detector with a System of Optical Sensors," Proc. of the IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2007, Honolulu, Hawaii, pp. 657-662, ISBN 1-4244-0923-3 and CMS conference report CMS CR-2008/015.
- M. Hohlmann, et al., "Design and Performance of the Alignment System for the CMS Muon Endcaps," Proc. of the IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2006, San Diego, California, pp. 489-495, ISBN 1-4244-0561-0 and CMS conference report CMS CR-2008/016.
K. Gnanvo, et al., "Detection and Imaging of High-Z Materials with a
Muon Tomography Station Using GEM Detectors" Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2010, Knoxville, Tennessee, October 30 - November 6, 2010, and in arXive > Physics > Instrumentation and Detectors.
K. Gnanvo, et al., "Imaging of High-Z Material for Nuclear Contraband Detection
with a Minimal Prototype of a Muon Tomography Station
Based on GEM Detectors," Nucl. Instr. and Meth. A 652 (2011) 16–20, Proc. of the 12th Symposium On Radiation Measurements and Applications (SORMA10), Ann Arbor, Michigan, May 24-28, 2010, and in arXive > Physics > Instrumentation and Detectors.
- M. Hohlmann, et al., "Design and Construction of a First Prototype Muon Tomography System with GEM Detectors for the Detection of Nuclear Contraband; (.pdf), (.doc)" Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2009,
Orlando, Florida, October 25-31, 2009, and in arXive > Physics > Instrumentation and Detectors.
- D. Mitra, et al., "Simulation Study of Muon Scattering For Tomography Reconstruction," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2009, Orlando, Florida, October 25-31, 2009.
- R. Hoch, et al., "Muon Tomography Algorithms for Nuclear Threat Detection," "Opportunities and Challenges," SCI 214, pp. 225-231, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence series, Springer Verlag 2009, Proc. of the 22nd International Conference on Industrial, Engineering & Other Applications of Applied Intelligent Systems - IEA-AIE 2009,
Tainan, Taiwan, June 24-27, 2009, .
- K. Gnanvo, et al.,"Performance Expectations for a Tomography System Using Cosmic Ray Muons and Micro Pattern Gas Detectors for the Detection of Nuclear Contraband," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2008, Dresden, Germany, pp. 1278-1284, IEEE Cat. CFP08NSS-CDR, ISBN 978-1-4244-2715-4, ISSN 1082-3654, e-Print: arXiv:0812.1007.
- M. Hohlmann, et al.,"GEANT4 Simulation of a Cosmic Ray Muon Tomography System with Micro-Pattern Gas Detectors for the Detection of High-Z Materials," IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci., Vol.56, No.3, pp. 1356-1363, June 2009, Proc. of the 2008 Symposium on Radiation Measurements and Application - West (SORMA - West 2008), Berkeley, California.
Full Publication Lists
Technical Reports/Notes & Internal Research Reports:
Technical CMS notes that our group has contributed to; Technical Research Reports and Internal Reports written by Undergraduates as part of their Research Experience in Physics (PHY 3901), Independent Studies (PHY 4301) or Undergraduate Research (PHY 4902) classes or by Graduate Students for Advanced Lab (PHY5095) with Dr. Hohlmann:
CMS Physics Analyses:
- V. Bhopatkar(for the CMS coll.),"Search for a neutral MSSM Higgs Boson Decaying into a Pair of Tau Leptons at 13 TeV with the CMS Experiment", Presented at ICHEP2016 - The 38th International Conference on High Energy Physics, Chicago, IL, Aug 3-10, 2016, https://www.ichep2016.org
- S. Guragain, M. Hohlmann, Effect of Muon Misalignments on Muon pT
Resolution and on the Search for Z → µ+µ− in pp Collisions at 7 TeV with CMS, CMS Analysis Note, July 9, 2010
CMS Technical Notes:
- V. Bhopatkar, M. Hohlmann, and A. Zhang, "Measurement of the Charge Induced on the Readout Strips of a GE1/1 Detector Prototype for the CMS Muon Endcap GEM Upgrade" CMS Internal Note, CMS IN-2017/001; April 5, 2017
- V. Bhopatkar, M. Hohlmann, A. Zhang, with A. Colaleo, A. Safonov, et al., CMS Technical Design Report for the Muon Endcap GEM Upgrade, CERN-LHCC-2015-012, CMS-TDR-013, September 30, 2015
- V. Andreev, et al. (10 CMS authors incl. MH), Roadmap for the Development of a Particle Flow Calorimeter for the CMS Phase 2 Upgrade (v.9), Aug 25, 2013
- M. Hohlmann, K. Gnanvo, with D. Abbaneo, A. Sharma, et al., Proposal for R&D for a high-eta CMS Trigger & Tracking Detector, CMS Upgrade Document, Feb 11, 2010
- Nick Leioatts with T.Miao, H.Wenzel, F.Yumiceva (all FNAL), Beam Position Determination using Tracks, CMS Note 2007/021, August 17, 2007
- K. Gnanvo, M. Hohlmann, M.J. Staib, et al., A GEM Detector System for an Upgrade of the CMS Muon Endcaps CMS Note 2012/001, February 10, 2012
Internal student reports on CMS work:
- Ankit Mohapatra, Gain studies in Gaseous Detectors (GEMs and MCPs), Spring 2013
- Nathan Mertins, GEANT4 simulation of soft X-ray absorption in material of Triple-GEM detector, Spring 2011
- Jeremy Janney, Update on research with FEMLAB, GARFIELD, and the cluster, UG Research Report, Fall 2005
- Jeremy Janney, FEMLAB integration with GARFIELD, UG Research Report, Fall 2004
- Jeremy Janney, A Guide to GARFIELD, UG Research Report, Spring 2004
DAQ & Software:
- Matt Bomberger, The Fabrication of Carbon Fiber Frames for a Prototype GEM, Spring 2017
- Jerry Collins, THGEM design, Spring 2017
- Nicholas Lowing, Ohmcraft High-resistance resistor testing, Sep 2015
- Aiwu Zhang, Characterizing the X ray gun -Au target- with NaI-Tl- detector, GEM Dectector Hardware Meeting, July 2015
- Aiwu Zhang, Gain and uniformity measurement of the CMS GE1/1-III, GEM Dectector Hardware Meeting, July 2015
- Aiwu Zhang, Characterizing_the_X_ray_gun (Au_target) with 10x10cm_GEM_detector, GEM Dectector Hardware Meeting, July 2015
- Nicholas Lowing with E. Hansen, C. Bracci X-ray Shielding Box and Electromagnet Field Mapping, Presentation given in CMS Working Group (July 29, 2014)
- Nicholas Lowing with C. Bracci, Electromagnet Magnetic Field Mapping and Stability Testing, UG Research Report, Summer 2014
- Eric Hansen with C. Bracci, N. Lowing, (Commissioning of) Radiation Shielding (Box), UG Research Report, Summer 2014
- Shreeya Khanal,FNAL Beam Test Cross-Talk in CMS zigzag detector, UG Research Report, Spring 2014
- Nicholas Lowing, Mini-HV divider for GEMs and Electromagnet (Refurbishing), UG Research Report, Fall 2013
- Jessie Twigger, FNAL Beam Test Documentation (for Chambers), UG Research Report, Fall 2013
- Eric Hansen, Development and testing of plexiglas box and lead shielding box for 1m CMS GEM detectors (pdf), Summer 2013
- Jessie Twigger, S4 Documentation (for the 30cm x 30 self-stretched sans-spacer Triple-GEM detector), Spring 2013
- Kimberly Walton, A brief guide to Altium Designer 10 (as used for design of zigzag strip readout boards for GEMs), Spring 2013
- Michael Abercrombie, Greg Lovell, Alfred Menendez, Cubic Foot Muon Tomography Scintillator Plateauing and Conicidence Rates, UG Research Report, Fall 2010
- Michael Abercrombie, Summary of GEM Development, UG Research Report, Spring 2010
- Alfred Menendez, Assembly and Testing of a GEM Detector to be Used for Cosmic Ray Muon Tomography Imaging, Spring 2010
- Michael Abercrombie, Summary of GEM Development, UG Research Report, Fall 2009
- Alfred Menendez, Gas Electron Multipliers, UG Research Report, Fall 2009
- Amilkar Quintero, Assembly 30 x 30 cm GEM Detectors, Procedure, Summer 2009
- Lenny Grasso, Designs for a Muon Tomography Station Prototype, Research report for PHY 5095 (Adv. Laboratory), Summer 2009
- Nick Leioatts, GEMs Semester Report and Background for new Research Students, UG Research Report, Spring 2009
- Travis Garlick, Review of Gas Electron Multiplier Development during Spring 2009t, UG Research Report, Spring 2009
- Nick Leioatts, GEMs Semester Report, UG Research Report, Fall 2008
- Alicia Moss, GEM Development, UG Research Report, Spring 2008
- Nick Leioatts, GEMs Semester Report, UG Research Report, Spring 2008
- Alicia Moss, GEM Development, UG Research Report, Fall 2007
- M. Hohlmann, P.I., Final report on Florida Space Research and Education Grant, Development of a Gas Electron Multiplier (GEM) as a Novel Instrument for X-ray Imaging Missions in Space, August 23, 2007
- Julian Spring, GEM development, UG Research Report, Spring 2006
- Georgia Karagiorgi, Testing and Optimization of the 3-GEM Detector at Florida Institute of Technology, UG Research report, Fall 2004
- David Dickey, Physics Undergraduate Research Experimentation with Gas Electron Multipliers (GEM), UG Research Report, Fall 2004
- Georgia Karagiorgi, Testing and comparison of GEM foils from different manufacturers & Transmittance measurements of UV light in Ar gas, Summer Appointment Report at Brookhaven National Lab, Summer 2004.
- B. Azmoun, G. Karagiorgi, C. Woody, A Comparative Study of GEM Foils from Different Manufacturers, BNL report, August 2004
- Julie Slanker, Prototypes for Particle Detectors Employing Gas Electron Multiplication (Phase II: The Triple GEM), UG Research report, Spring 2004
- Georgia Karagiorgi, Prototypes for Particle Detectors Employing Gas Electron Multiplication:
Testing and Optimization of the Single GEM Detectors, UG Research report, Spring 2004.
- Vallary Bhopatkar, Cluster Administration, Fall 2011
- Patrick Ford, Grid Legacy, UG Research Report, Summer 2009
- Xenia Fave, Using CRAB and Running Diagnostic Tests on the Cluster, UG Research Report, Fall 2009
- Patrick Ford, OSG 1.2 and GUMS Installation at FLTECH, Summer 2009
- Patrick Ford, Cluster Development for Fall Semester 2008, and technical documents: Cluster Development - Rocks V, OSG installation on FLTECH cluster
- Patrick Ford, Cluster Development for Spring 2008, and OSG installation on the FLTECH cluster, UG research reports, Spring 2008
- David Pena, UG Research report, Spring 2008
- Patrick Ford, Cluster Installation, UG Research report, Fall 2007
- Jen Helsby, David Pena, Cluster Computing, UG Research report, Fall 2006
- David Pena, Implementation of a Computing Cluster at Florida Tech, Independent Study Report, Spring 2006
Quarknet detectors and data analysis
Cloud Chamber projects in PHY4030
Documents from Other Groups:
GEM Detector Production Assembly 2017 Manuals
DATE Installation and Configuration for the SRS